|The owners of this modest solid-brick built 1950’s semi-detached house found the attached coal-house and conservatory a major barrier to the enjoyment of the small, secluded south facing garden to the rear of the property.
A simple and economic timber framed garden room was designed with a small utility room and wc to the side of the house which transformed the very traditional cellular ground plan to an open, flexible arrangement, successfully integrating interior and exterior spaces. The light-filled multi-use garden room and kitchen provide the main living accommodation while the north facing sitting room provides a quieter space.
The garden room extension was designed to permit the owner to self-build using simple carpentry techniques and easily available materials. The structural frame was constructed from locally-sourced home grown Douglas Fir and the solid end panels were finished in a self-coloured roughcast lime render.